Saturday 21 September 2013

Inspiration : Gardening Books 1

In a past life I studied as, and was very briefly, a landscape architect, but that is another story!

Anyway, I have always enjoyed gardening, so here are a few of my favourite books. There are rather a lot, so I have made 2 sections to the blog.


'The Gardens of Gertrude Jeckyll' by Richard Bisgrove. I love Jeckyll gardens, especially Hestercombe in Somerset (see photo), which for many years was restored and maintained the local fire brigade. This book shows the best work of this 20th-century garden designer. It contains planting plans, watercolours and beautiful photographs. 






'Family Gardens' by Bunny Guinness. This is so inspiring and really shows how plants can be used  to create numerous, safe play environments for children. Projects include tree-houses, cable runways, paddling pools and teepees.






'The Garden at Highgrove' by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales and Candida Lycett Green is a real must have. The book is all about the twenty years in which The Prince has transformed the beautiful gardens. Stunning photographs help depict his many organic principles and ideals. Ian and I were very fortunate to join a 'Champagne Tea Tour' (you might like the old news about our visit), as part of my 50th birthday celebrations.





I am completely biased when it comes to Highgrove, because of this rather lovely letter that I received earlier this year from H.R.H. The Prince of Wales. I am SO proud of it!




More in the 'Inspirational' series -



No comments:

Post a Comment