Wednesday 11 September 2013

Favourite Recipes - Chicken in white wine

I decided to make another series of blogs. This time it is my favourite recipes. I am afraid it is imperial (that is my age, I am afraid)!

This is a good, reliable recipe that you can make in advance and heat-up when you need it. My style of cooking is to prepare as much as possible ahead of time to avoid any unnecessary stress! I used to cooked it for dinner parties when we had folks around or staying. As the family grew-up it became a good supper dish.


It is a variation of Fanny Cradock's recipe 'Poulet Forestière'! Sounds very grand.




Johnnie and Fanny - A blast from the past!

'Chicken in White Wine'


8 Chicken Breasts

8  Rashers of Bacon (wider the better)
½ lb Mushrooms (sliced)
4oz Butter
2oz Flour
¼pt Dry White Wine
¼pt Double Cream
Salt and Pepper

Skin the chicken and make little parcels. Lay a piece of bacon on a chopping board, then a few slices of mushrooms, then the chicken and add some more mushroom slices, then season. Now  wrap the ends of the bacon around the chicken and place join down in a casserole dish. Spread with butter, the rest of the mushrooms and cover.

Cook 400°F for 40 minutes. Carefully strain off liquor into saucepan. Bring to boil and add flour. Cook paste for 3 minutes and add wine and cream. Pour over chicken and return to oven until ready to serve.


Really nice with celeriac mash and mixed salad.


I will hopefully add a photo of the finished dish when I make it next.


Hope you like it. 


Do you know any other good chicken recipes?


No comments:

Post a Comment